Monday, May 3, 2010

May 3, 2010: Black Kids
















Artist: Black Kids
Album: Partie Traumatic
Year: 2008

Jumped right into this album. I'd heard of this band offhand from a friend and for easily identifiable reasons the name stuck with me so I thought, "why not?". Oh man, this album is fun. At times, the album is a full-blown party, full with moogs and handclaps and big synth lines and pulsing beats. I'm a big fan of the indie-dance craze, and this album has no problem thrusting you right into the scene. "Hit The Heartbrakes" and "Look At Me (When I Rock Wichoo)" are highlights; however, this album has a subdued edge that creates some damn good songs in the vein of mid-years The Cure; "I'm Making Eyes At You" might be the best song on the album. Highly reccomended for anyone who loved the late 70's, and newer bands like MGMT and The Wombats. Another stand-out track is the gloriously titled "I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You". Good times.

Hear it for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcoxfibLBLc

Tomorrow will be the first day of blogger choice. Adam and Kim take this day, with Ace of Base's "The Sign". It's... It's going to be interesting. Leave me your condolences, as I may need them.

5 comments:

  1. hey cory is there any way you can post a sample track from the Cd's you select on the blog? It would be interesting to hear a little bit of what you're listening to, and i'm going to be too lazy to research it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, I'll link to a youtube video of the standout track for each album. That's a good idea anyway, heh.

    Currently going through the Ace of Base album. Being a music hipster for some time now, I feel so dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I love "I'm Not Going..."! It's the best lesbian love song ever sung by a non lesbian ;D Admittedly, I never actually bothered to listen to their entire album... but comparisons to the Wombats makes me want to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, it's totally a great album. Lots of entertaining, catchy topical songs. Here's a verse from "I Underestimated My Charm (Again)":

    You're on your honeymoon / and you're sending me notes / You hope to see me soon / You've got "see" wrapped in quotes / I used to find it funny to say / "What's your man got to do with me?" / But then I saw him downtown / placing bets on the hounds / He was as big as a house! / We can't be messin' around!

    ReplyDelete