Tuesday, May 25, 2010

May 25, 2010: The Ataris
















Artist: The Ataris
Album: Blue Skies, Broken Hearts... Next 12 Exits
Year: 1999

The Ataris got me through high school. Did they get you through high school? If they did, well, I'm sure you immediately understand my love for this album. Angst, hope, it's all there. "Why can't I ever seem to learn / that love is wrong / and girls are fucking evil", Kris Roe yells on "The Last Song I Will Ever Write About A Girl, in stark contrast to lines like "Let me start this from the day we met / you were so beautiful / I never could forget" opening "1*15*96". This album has all the ups and downs of emotional maturity, and Kris Roe sings along with every word completely and fully honest. This album is a triumph to being young and stupid, and even past those days (as Kris was at the time of it's release) it's easy to smile and fondly remember using him as our lens. Highly reccomended.

Hear it for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynDili3sI70

Thank you, Adam, for your great choice. Tomorrow is Beth's pick, Forgive Durden's Wonderland. I'm excited.

2 comments:

  1. So my pick this week... Sufjan Stevens' "Illinois"

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT IS THE MOST PERFECT CHOICE EVER CHOSEN

    ReplyDelete