Saturday, May 15, 2010

May 14, 2010: The Kooks
















Artist: The Kooks
Album: Konk
Year: 2008

Sorry, The Cars, but you've just been one-upped in the "most fun album" category. If you're a fan of the third wave of britpop (Absent Elk, The View, Doves, The Wombats, The Music, Pigeon Detectives... etc) then you're probably a fan of The Kooks. They have a smart "indie" sound with both rock ideals and a pop bounce. The album is all around solid, but my favorite tracks are the strong opener "See The Sun", the at-first pacified "Sway" and the jangly "Gap". You'll probably recognize "Shine On" from some commercials, too. "Always Where I Want To Be" is another stand-out, as well as hidden track "All Over Town". Britain is still the best place to find new music, you just have to pay more attention now. Highly recommended.

Hear it for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6N41w5RmAk

I'm a day behind, so I'll be doing another one before the day is over after going to see The Spill Canvas with Adam and Kim. Wonder what album I'll pick...

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I think I've decided that I'll just keep throwing British bands at you each Friday. No worries ;)

    ReplyDelete