Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Beginning

Oh man, this is scary.

After compiling an relatively large music library (around 50 gigs, all in subpar 128 kbps to save space), I decided to undertake finding some way to organize it better and see what of it I do like and don't. My taste in music has changed over the three or four years I've gathered this collection, and I'm sure some portion of it would be long beyond me.

However, this process would have taken me years.

So I did the next best rational thing: I deleted all of it. With extreme prejudice. Not a single song or album was spared, and the next thing I know (actually around an hour later, because it took a long time to clear all that music) I'm staring at a blank iTunes screen, ready to start over.

It's absolutely terrifying.

But this time I am not going to let it get out of control. I am going to monitor it. How? By being much more careful with what I add. In fact, I'm only going to add a single album a day for the remainder of the year and possibly beyond.

The album I choose will be based on three criteria: first, if there's something I really miss and really want to listen to, I will add it. Second, if there's something new I really want to hear, I will purchase it and listen to it. Third, I will be taking recommendations from friends and readers.

The day after I add them, I will fill in a short review of what I added, why, and my experience with the album. I will also post the album I have added for that day. Feel free to leave recommendations, comments, whatever you like.

Today's album? Ted Leo And The Pharmacists' "The Brutalist Bricks". Check back tonight.

4 comments:

  1. Wow.... uhm, did you pay for all that music you deleted?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I buy music I exclusively buy CDs, so anything that's gone that I actually paid money for can be replaced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, gotcha ;) See, my entire ITUNES collection right now is songs that I have bought.... so if i was to delete it I would be out 3,000 bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cory you're nuts. Love you. :) <3
    This is going to be exciting!

    ReplyDelete